Ophthalmology & Optometry/ring of light in right eye


QUESTION: Hello Doctor,

I am 56 years old. I had a hemorrhage in my right eye many years ago that eventually cleared up but left a distorted view of straight lines if viewed by that eye, yet it is still clear now. Last week I had a sever fall on my left side which felt like it my have bruised my stomach cavity and gave me a good sized hemotoma on my hip for a few day's. However, inside the last couple of days I have a brright flash of light in the shape of a large ring in my right rye every time I blink or role my eye. Should I be concerned?

Thank you for your time. I have hesitated seeing a Doctor due to my finances. Hope you have a wonderful New Year.

Don B

a common thing to happen to the eye as we get older or due to a shake-up of the eye is a 'posterior vitreous detachment' and it may have happened to you.  It is normal as we get older but may have happened a little early for you  #usually 50% by age 60# due to the shock wave going through your body or head.  When it happens, the vitreous gel pulls on and away from the retina.  Sometimes it pulls hard enough to pluck a piece of retina with it, yielding a retinal tear which could become a retinal detachment.  Usually it pulls free without damaging the retina.  So you have to see an eye doctor, whether it is an optometrist or ophthalmologist, and expect them to dilate your pupils to inspect the retina.  Don't wait, as your symptom is mild but important and you don't want it to become a big problem.
Mitch Axelrod, OD

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Hi Dr. Axelrod,

I thank you so much for taking the time  to consider my case. Is there something the Dr.  can do for me? or can this worsen with or without a Doctors help? My biggest problem right now is our business is still struggling  to meet our bills and I just don't have any disposal income right now.

Thank you so much for your help. I am hopeful that a small venture I have invested in some time ago is looking like it may finally pay off sometime soon, if and when it does, I will gladly donate to your organization as I so appreciate this service at a time when I would have to otherwise take the risk of not having anyone to ask. If  I must see a Dr. I, 'll see if I can sell something to do what needs to be done.

thanks for your nice comments. Though the odds are good that you don't have a problem, you should go to any optometrist you can find, and pay only for a basic exam. It should not be a lot of money, even look for advertisements or promotions.  The doctor will just shine lights into your eyes and if they find anything bad, will refer you to a specialist. At that point, if it happened, you could seek specialty care for free.  Use any money you would donate to me for your initial exam! I hope they tell you all is well.
Mitch Axelrod,OD

Ophthalmology & Optometry

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mitchell Axelrod


I'm happy to answer questions about eye exam findings and procedures, glasses and contact lens types/prescriptions/problems. I can also answer questions about general eye conditions/diseases. I do not answer questions concerning surgical techniques/procedures. Please state your age or within a small range when asking questions, as it is often important.


Optometrist 19 yrs.

Doctor of Optometry, cum laude; Residency in Ocular Disease

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.