Ophthalmology & Optometry/severe eye pain after catatract surgery

Question
I had eye trauma, as a young child,in my right eye that required surgery.  I developed a cataract in this same eye and had surgery 1/3/13 to remove the cataract and implant a toric lense.  During sugery, the doctor said he needed to manually implant a tension ring because I didn't have enough zonules.  The next day, after surgery, I started to experience severe eye pain, light sensitivity, tearing.  I went for a follow up appointment and was told I have a scratched cornea.  It's been 3 days since surgery and I am still in severe pain with all the other same symptoms.  I am concerned the tension ring could possibly be the problem? The followup physician said I should be feeling better in 2-3 days.  I am not even close to feeling better. I have another follow up on 1/9/13.

Answer
Dear Kay,

Sorry for the delay in reply. I hope you are feeling better now. cornea is a very sensitive part of the eye and any inflammation does take some time to settle. You also sound like you may also have inflammation internally, what we term as "iritis" which may be causing the symptoms you describe.

The doctor may dilate the eyes to give the internal eye some rest and relieve you from the discomfort.

It will settle down with treatment, and it is temporary. Do not worry.

Best regards,
Anand Shroff

www.shroffeye.org

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS