Ophthalmology & Optometry/Strabismis Surgery

Question
I have alternating strabismus and early June of last year I poked myself in the eye accidently scratching the cornea. Anyways, it aggravated my strabismus and my eyes alternated for 6 months. I finally was able to explain to the ophthalmologist what was happening and he concluded it was the strabismus acting up. My eye has been drifting and it never did that before ect. ect.

The alternating stopped but now the points of vision is off. While one is looking at the object the other eye has a focus point  that is off the other direction.

I am scheduled to see a surgeon in May on referral. (my eye doctor retired from eye surgery)

I will be 23 at the time of the surgery and originally had the first one done at age 2.

So I have a few questions,

1. Will the operation should help/fix the recurrence.  

2. Since it has been less then a year since the incident. should that help in the chances of the success.

3. After 20 years my eyes still looked just about cosmetically aligned. While I mainly used my right I, I also used my left eye some which helped me keep my vision pretty good (still 20/20 in both eyes) by doing things that involved using both eyes. (Baseball, American Football, and playing games. After the surgery should I get back to finding a activity that at least uses my left eye some so I can help with the success of the surgery?

Phil

Answer
Dear Phil,

You must understand that the strabismus is due to non alignment of the eye muscles. Theses muscles have been "used to" staying in this state of non alignment for many years. In adulthood, the muscles are strong and can overcome any correction, hence one hears of failure or reversal of the squint even after a successful surgery. Some may benefit from active eye exercises (similar to physiotherapy of the eyes) to keep the muscles in the corrected state.

Hence, we recommend fixing the strabismus as early in childhood as possible. If the surgery you underwent in childhood was successful as you say for 20 years, then you can hope to have a good prognosis, but again, the earlier it is done, the better.

Only the treating / examining surgeon can answer regarding the recovery and also any activity / exercises which may help maintain the level of correction.

I advise to take a full treatment plan in your case, as the treatment does not end with just the performance of the surgery, but needs a close follow up as well.

Hope this helps,
Best,

Dr Anand Shroff,
www.shroffeye.org  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS