Ophthalmology & Optometry/Strabismus

Question
Dr. Shroff

As it turns out I figured out what my eye problem is and it is complicated.

I have alternating strabismus and can switch the surpression. Both eyes are active but one is focused (or at least is supposted to be)

When I poked my eye and got a cornea scratch my eyes we trying to gather together a focus point but as I have a lazy eye, the two eyes were not focused on the same point and the one eyes image is sort of off to the side like a lazy eye.

As I mentioned in May I have a strabismus surgery appointment with a surgeon. When they straighten my eyes, putting them on basically the same point and they are learning to see together again, shouldn't that fix the issue?

Phil

Answer
Dear Phil,

Yes, the strabismus surgery will be aimed at helping your eyes focus in one particular way. However, please note that in adulthood, there is more difficulty in correcting this visual pathway, as this pathway gets established during childhood and fixes by 10 years.

Vision Therapy may help as it is a rehabilitation programme for the eyes, but one needs to check if that would help your particular strabismus issue. this is done by a trained orthoptist.

Once a strabismus surgery is done, the eyes will try and go back to their original state as those muscles are strong.

hence, do discuss the post operative care with your treating surgeon to outline your visual expectation.

Best Regards,
Dr Anand Shroff
www.shroffeye.org

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS