Ophthalmology & Optometry/Swollen odd color eyes

Question
I am having a problem with my eyes. I am either having an allergic reaction to something or I was burned by the Hibachi flame at a restaurant.  I woke up the next morning and my face and eyes were red and swollen. I was wearing my contacts at the restaurant. It is 4 days after and the swelling has gone down, but my eyes are looking odd. My eyes are blue,but they look turquoise and the whites are irritated looking still and there is still puffiness in the morning. My face is very dry and flaky now. I have been taking Benadryl and using cortisone cream and neosporine on my face. I am worried that it might not be allergy and my eyes may have been burned. My vision doesn't seem any worse than usual. I am worried about infection if my eyes were injured.

Answer
Hi Cathy,
if the problem started the next day after the hibachi, then maybe the face and whites of the eyes were burned; probably the contact lenses protected the corneas, though.  It doesn't sound like infection, and unless you used some unusual product on the face and eyes that would cause an allergic response, as a food allergy would have affected more than the facial skin and eyes, it is likely the burn: so use some lubricating drops (not red eye or allergy eye drops)frequently in the eyes and give it a few more days to see if the eyes normalize.  If they don't then see your contact lens doctor.  The facial skin may take a bit longer than the eye to heal and I'm not sure the steroid cream is going to matter.  The Benadryl can't hurt, but may dry the eyes more so that's even more reason for the lubricating drops.  The color difference may just be due to the contrast change from the face's color change, as the true eye color won't change.
Hope you feel better,
Mitch Axelrod, OD

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Mitchell Axelrod