Ophthalmology & Optometry/tear duct issue

My right eye is tearing. No discomfort, no redness, no irritation. It just overflows. I have to dab my eye multiple times every day.  I presume whatever means by which tears normally drain away is not working.  A local ophthalmologist did a probing of the tear duct with a sterilized safety pin and "couldn't get through."  He says a punctoplasty is needed. The probing was very uncomfortable despite anesthetic drops. I can't imagine the punctoplasty would be different. I have also heard that stents may be used to prop open a tear duct. I'm not a big fan of this ophthalmologist, and would like to hear your thoughts.  Thx.

Dear ken.  I don't know if you've tried punctal massage and warm compresses 4-5 times per day for a week to ten days to see if any improvement occurs.  Probing and irrigation is the next step for lacrimal duct stenosis or clogged tear ducts.  If you're not getting relief do get another opinion .  Dr Ken

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry