Ophthalmology & Optometry/Temporary Blindness in one eye

Question
Hello. I'm male 41years old,
About 3 weeks ago I awoke early only to find I was completely blind in my left eye. I managed to get out of bed with out panicking as I suffer from anxiety and walk to the bathroom (I was please to do that as I thought it maybe caused by a stroke) and I looked into the mirror. I turned the light on and looked into the mirror I didn't take to much notice of how my left eye appeared as was starting to panic a bit but I could see fine out of my right eye but if I covered it I was in total darkness, could see nothing out of my left eye.

So I went back to the bedroom to think about what next to do. But after a few minutes my sight came back in that eye over the course of the few minutes my sight slowly returned it was not as if it came back like a light was switch on, any as soon as my opticians was open I booked an appointment and they check my eyes ie:the letters using that big thingy they put in front of you and switch lenses and also the machine that blows a jet of air into the eye and after all that the eye doctor said he could see nothing wrong with my eye health.

I should mention I have developed a blind spot out of the corner of my left eye will I say blind spot it is like a fuzzy grey/black circle not a floater as it does not behave like one this area moves with my head ie: if I move my head and look at the same point it stays in the area and it i move the eye the spot will move the same distance not float across my vision and also I have a drooping eyelid that gets worse as the day goes by or if stressed or tired. I have spoke to my doctor about all this but they are not concerned.

Anyway at the opticians that did a field of vision test. The result as my right eye ok but my left eye one half of the result was grey out so my optician sent the report to my doctor to look at.

I seen my doctor a few days later and I was just told if I go blind again to come in and see them and I was sent on my way. The only thing she said it could of been was a blood clot, that scared me a lot what if it a blood clot had went to my brain I could not have been here today!

I'm left feeling a little scared now fearing that this blindness could return and stay or worse. So it has left me looking on the Internet to try and find answers. The only one I found was with my drooping eye was that if I put an ice pack on it after a few mins the eye lid was no longer drooping for about 10 mins.

All this only affects my left eye , the blind spot, loss of vision, eyelid drooping.

Any advice would be great. Also the only thing it said somewhere on the Internet was that maybe my eye had changed in shape abit and that could affect the vision until it becomes normal shape again I don't know if this is true but anything that gives me hope is good.

Thank you for reading this

Answer
Hi Chris,
It's concerning to me, and I would not stop investigating yet.  There are some things that come to mind given the visual field test, symptom and age, and not knowing the final visual acuity I suppose it could have been a blood clot or a type of ischemic optic nerve event.  The floater should be explained to you though it may not be important.  All this should be addressed by another eye doctor or a neuro-ophthalmologist.  Because it is not both eyes, don't worry about a brain tumor per se, but it certainly has affected one eye.  It is not something to wait and see about, rather get seen this week and describe a brief history to the doctor's office so they can make sure you are scheduled appropriately.  You have to have it checked more thoroughly.  The eyelid may be a red herring, but it also needs to be addressed.  Please update me after you have a more thorough work up.
Best,
Mitch Axelrod, OD

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Mitchell Axelrod