Ophthalmology & Optometry/Vitreous Turns To Water - Will Hyaluronic Acid Help PVD?

Hello Dr Shroff,
I read in your book "Eye on Numbers" that the amount of liquefied vitreous in those who are older and with PVD is higher than in younger ones and those without PVD.  And that the concentration of hyaluronic acid is significantly lower with those without PVD. I've seen the flashing lights from PVD, luckily no retinal tear (retina checked by optometrist).  Will taking hyaluronic acid supplements (100mg per day) help restore my vitreous to its healthy non-watery state?  Thanks.  (I'm a layman, 58 with myopia.)  

Dear Usuff,

Thank you for the interest in my book.
However, this book is only for Postgraduate students and not lay people.

Coming to your vision issue, taking the supplements may or may not help as there are no published data that shows a definitive benefit on the same, however, no harm in trying it if recommended by your optom.

The vitreous gets liquified as an age related process and usually the sign is that of floaters.
These settle down in most with time.

It is important that you get an annual retnal check done regardless.

Hope this helps,
Dr Anand Shroff  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS

I can answer any question on eye care, expertise in Laser eye surgery, LASIK, Epi LASIK, cataract, glaucoma, keratoconus- corneal collagen crosslinking.

OF LASIK, we are one of the first centres to use the wavefront guided LASIK or custom LASIK procedures. I train doctors worldwide for these wavefront procedures, our centre is the referral centre for our Wavelight Laser Technologies, Germany in India.

ASCRS [American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery]certified by USA- Joint Commission International

MD Ophthalmology and FICS [Fellow of the International College of Surgeons]

please see and