Ophthalmology & Optometry/Adult acne in lashes draining into eyes

Question
Adult acne is in upper and lower lashes. Top lashes are usually lined with a dried white difficult to remove substance.  Lower lashes have a liquid like yellow line that drains into the outer corner of my eyes. The yellow  has turned the inside lower rim a  light greenish color. Close to the outer corner there is a very small red pimple that has never appeared any where else since all of this began. I have recently been brave enough to begin using neutrogina acne scrub with benzoyl peroxide 3.7,  At this point I am desperate to find help. I use this scrub on very tightly closed eyes. I also use a little extra so that  when I bend over the sink to rinse,  I make sure the rinse water runs into my nose where this has managed to involve nasal hair as well. Causiinhelps the drainage in my eyes for a few hours only.I have retired and have gone back to work as a drug store clerk and face the public for hours each day.. I can not tell you how embarrassing  and humiliating  this is. I try not to look up at customers after greeting them.  Having wrinkles,dark spots, adult acne ( different than teen acne ) dead looking dry eyes,unable to use any cosmetics is very unattractive. This has affected me emotionally. I do not want friends,family,even strangers to look at me. I stay home most of the time.  Please tell me something can be done. I have seen two dermatologists,but have not yet seen someone for my eyes.

Answer
Irene,

What you are describing sounds like serious case of blepharitis.  You need to get yourself to an eye doctor (optometrist or ophthalmologist) and get treatment. Don't self-treat a serious infection, and certinaly don't put OTC products made for acne anywhere near your eyes.

This is typically easily treated with eyelid hygeine, warm compresses, eye scrubs, and a combination of oral and topical antibiotics.

The longer you wait, the more difficult it may be to treat and the more long-lasting effects there may be.

Please make an appointment with your eye doctor and get treatment started.

Good Luck!
Dr.D

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO