Ophthalmology & Optometry/Some questions about high myopia

Question
QUESTION: Dear Dr Dovie,

Hello. I have a few questions about severe myopia, and I would be so grateful if you would be kind enough to help me.

1. My first question is about floaters in the eye. Once you have floaters, are they always there? In everything I have read, it talks about them as though they are constant, but I saw something yesterday that made it sound like they weren't. Are they constant, or do they come and go?

2. Is it possible for someone to be born with very severe myopia (a prescription of -16.00, for example), and then continue to have just about that same prescription throughout their life, or would their prescription be likely to get worse?

3. If it is possible for that severe degree of myopia to be present at birth, would you please tell me a little about how that would be diagnosed?

Thank you so much for your time. I'm so grateful for your help.

ANSWER: Maria,

1. Floaters are bits of debris (collagen fibers, old cells, etc) that are trapped in the vitreous body - the jelly-like substance that fills the inside of the eye.  The vitreous doesn't go anywhere - so anything that's trapped inside it will stay as well.  Think if it like a snow globe - those little bits are always there. Sometimes they may 'settle' out of the way, so you don't notice them as much, but they're always there.

2. The prescription of the eye is typically based on the size, or axial length.  i.e., how long (or short) is it from the front of the cornea, where light enters, to the back of the retina, where it is focused.  If a person is born highly myopic, that means they have a 'longer' eye than  the 'model' human eye, or one that would focus perfectly.  It is hard to predict how much the eye will change, but you would normally see some progression.

3.  We diagnose and measure infants with something called retinoscopy.  We would typically dilate the pupil to relax the muscles and eliminate any false readings, then essentially shine a light and measure the reflex of it.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinoscopy

Thanks for your questions!
Dr.D

QUESTION: Dr Dovie, thank you so much for your help. You are extremely eloquent, descriptive and clear in your answers!

I'm sorry to bother you agian, but would you be kind enough to answer three more questions for me? I'm so grateful for your time and help.

My questions are:

1. I have read that being highly myopic greatly increases the risk of retinal detachment, and so a lot of care has to be taken to avoid trauma to the head. What I would like to know is, if you had a prescription of about -16.00, how careful would you have to be? Would it be best to avoid all sports?

2. If you had a prescription of about -16.00, how far could this be fixed by glasses or lenses? Could you have 20/20 vision with glasses on/lenses in, or would it never be quite that good?

3. If you had a prescription of about -16.00, what could you see without any glasses on or lenses in? Is it like being blind? Hypothetically, if I wanted to recreate the experience of being that myopic, would the closest thing be if I shut my eyes? Is it that level of blindness?
Or, is everything very, very blurred, but you can make out shapes, etc.?

You have helped me immensely. Thank you so, so much for your help.

Answer
Maria,

Thank you for your comments, here are some more answers!

1.  I have patients that have prescriptions that high, and while we are concerned over detachments, we don't limit them *too* much. I would avoid direct blow and shock trauma, so thinks like football, rugby, lacrosse, basketball, boxing, martial arts, etc would be out.  

2.  With an Rx that high, it may be difficult to get 20/20, but should be able to get 20/40 or better, which is enough to pass the driving test, etc.  Glasses will be necessary as part of life, spend more and get high index to thin the lenses.  When you can, get fit in contact lenses.

3.  Without correction would be very functionally blind.  Light/dark/colors and movement is about it.  If you got VERY close you may be able to make out shapes.

Good Luck!
Dr.D

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO