Ophthalmology & Optometry/resent blurry vision

Dear Dr. Berger,

I always had great vision, After age 50 my eyesight started changing slowly.  (slight stigmatism, one eye far-sited and the other eye near.  I now need driving and reading glasses.  In July at age 57 I started getting floaters in my right eye and flashers in the corner of both eyes.  (I saw a eye Dr. and he checked my eyes than stated that my flashers and floaters are common as we age.  It's now 2 months later since I got my eyes checked. My vision in my right eye has become more blurry recently in that I can no longer read the writing on my lap top with-out my reading glasses or read the writing when watching TV.  My right eye seems to fluctuate in blurriness.  It seems in less than 2 months my right eyes vision has changed, is this all normal with age?

Thank you

Kay.    Let me assure you that your symptoms are normal with
The aging process. The refractive status of the eyes indeed do change as we get older and many of us require eyeglasses to correct astigmatism, hyperopia, myopia, and presbyopia for TV, driving, reading, computer , etc.  This is quite normal.   So long as your retina is intact , with no tears or detachment , floaters and flashes are often times the result of the vitreous shrinking, liquefying, and separating as a result of a vitreous detachment which requires no treatment unless visually debilitating.   Hope this helps.  Good luck. Dr ken  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry