Ophthalmology & Optometry/clear clear got in my eyes

I recently was trying to put on my contacts this morning like usual and I use a solution called clear care where you have to wait at least 6 hours for the solution to neutralize or else it will sting your eyes or something. Well, I have been using it for years and never had an accident. This morning I did where the solution did not neutralize due to the faulty case where you put the contacts in I guess and I put it on my right eye and immediately felt a burning sensation. I immediately took it off, and rinsed with water. I put in some saline solution to rinse too. I even put some lubricant eye drops in. But as I am rinsing, it stung my eye. Right now as I am writing this, it's been about 15 minutes since the incident. My vision is fine. There's a bit of redness in my eye but not too red. It still has that after effect, not a burning or stinging, but a little more toned down than that I guess the best I can describe it. Will having the unneutralized solution in my eye caused any permanent damage? Or will I be ok? What signs should I be looking for if my eye is being damaged? Thanks, I'm worried as this has never happened to me before. It doesn't hurt so much now, just a weird sensation like my eyes just been burned and stung. I hope I don't go blind or get eye diseases because of this. Thank you.

Hi Michelle.  When Clear Care is not entirely neutralized to water and oxygen, the remaining hydrogen peroxide , when placed into the eye .causes burning, stinging, redness, tearing and sometimes corneal and conjunctival inflammation .  Rinsing out the eye real well is usually all that is necessary however if the symptoms still remain a day later,  you will need to see an eye doctor for treatment .   Hope this helps.  Dr Berger  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry