Ophthalmology & Optometry/dry eyes

Question
Hi. I have blurred vision in one eye that is severe. The eye doctor said my eye was very very dry, the entire thing even the part needed to see. Because I have lots of allergies to medications she told me to use refresh eye lubricant four to five times daily. Since I started using it today, I have had what feels like paint chips in my eye as well as issues with the lid sticking to my eyeball. I am very baffled by this because prior to using the drops, I have never had any other symptoms at all. No sticking, no irritation, no burning, no watering, nothing. Since using the drops, my eye feels irritated, it actually FEELS dry now, and irritated. Any ideas?

Answer
Katie,
It sounds like you're having a reaction to the eye drop.  It's either the lubricant itself, or, more likely, the preservative that is in the drop.  I would go pick up some preservative free eye drops, something from Systane/Refresh/Theratears.  Look for the "preservative free" version - it will a little more expensive, and come in single use vials.  The vials you can keep around for a day to reuse, but no longer - they don't have preservatives, so they'll go bad fast.
If you don't see improvement soon, I would go back for a followup.  You only get two eyes! :)
Good Luck,
Dr.D

Here's a link to some preservative free drops - you can see what I was referring to about the single vials.
http://www.systane.com/images/Systane-ULTRA-Preservative-Free-Eye-Drops.jpg  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO