Ophthalmology & Optometry/Large red vein in eye, sometimes uncomfortable

Good afternoon, I'm a 27 year old female. I work in an office on a computer all day for 4 years and this past year I noticed I'm having painful eye strain throughout th day at work and also have a large red vein in my left eye extending from the corner by my nose all the way near the iris. It's bothering me cosmetically but also becomes uncomfortable when I'm tired at work or at home. I often use a hot compress after work to soothe it. I don't think my vision is bad, but I'm thinking I should get an exam to see if I need glasses for work. Is there anything that I can do in the meantime to perhaps help the vein dissipate or get smaller? Should I be concerned or is this mostly a cosmetic issue due to eye strain?

Thank you for your help!

Hi Abby.   It sounds more like. Cosmetic issue due to eyestrain .  An eye exam would be beneficial to see if eyeglasses are necessary for close work and computer use. Furthermore you're eyes may be getting dry from all your near point eye strain and lubricant eye drops may give you relief.    Good luck.  Dr Berger    Ps.   Cool compresses is more effective against pain, inflammation, redness  than warm

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry