Ophthalmology & Optometry/Will using glasses improve my vision?

Question
Hello,

I recently discovered that I have -0.5 power in both eyes, making me slightly myopic. Thus, from now, I will have to wear glasses.

However, my optician tells me that this is merely temporary. If I wear my glasses for at least six months, he tells me, about six hours per day, my eyesight will become normal again.

My question thus, is that, is this correct? If so, what else steps can I take to restore my vision? Or will I become more and more dependent on my glasses?

Also, should I wear my glasses while studying? I have no problem whatsoever in reading a book in front of me. So will wearing my glasses while studying spoil my eyes?

I am 17 years old.

Answer
Dear Sanjiv,

Purpose of prescribing glasses it just to make you see clear and to reduce eye strain, Glasses focus rays onto your retina to form a clear picture, they dont cure refractive errors. You may avoid wearing glasses while studding.

Regards
Optom.Amit Sharma  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Optom. Amit Sharma