Ophthalmology & Optometry/Lazy Eye (Amblyopia)

Hi Dr. Berger recently I have had an issue that is bothering me and hope you could help me with it. My girlfriend that I have been with a couple months now has a Lazy Eye. She has informed me that it is definitely bothering her. To be honest it is also probably bothering me more than it is her.

She does not know a whole lot about it nor do I. I have heard several times though that the sooner you deal with it the better. So by the way she is 19 years old if it helps. She also said that she did get it fully or mostly corrected as a child then later she said that an incident happened that gave her a slight concussion I believe is what she said. Any way she said that she is pretty sure that this is the reason her Lazy Eye returned.

So basically what I would ask of you is some honest insight. Do you think it is too late for her to try to correct it? Also what do you think would be the best way route of doing so? Because she told me that she can see out of it well but is definitely better to use her other eye. I am going to talk to her about it again but I also do not want to stress her out over it either.

I was also told there are definitely ways to fix it such as laser surgery down the road from now. However I heard that this should be a last resort as in her case it would only reorient the eye and would not help with the vision. I have heard that the brain can lose connection with the eye all together and it go completely blind later in life it gets bad.

So now with all this blabber from me in mind is there anything you advice you can give me that I can pass to her, or do you think that it is too late for her and we both need to live with it? Because I would really hate to learn for her and my sake that she could have helped this and she neglected it.

Are their other remedies besides the patch, laser surgery, or correctional glasses? Also if she tries the patch again when and when should she not wear it if not all the time? Should she also see an eye doctor before wearing the patch? We are also low on income and that is kind of why I am here to get some advice. Looking forward to hearing back from you Dr. Berger.

Dear Jordan,    While your question us long winded  I can answer it very simply . If an amblyopic ( lazy )  eye is not treated by ages 6 or 7, the likelihood of improvement is very slim. .   The procedures remain. , patching, visual rehabilitation or therapy, eyeglasses and. / or eye surgery to correct any muscle imbalance or double vision. . In most cases the lazy eye , if severe enough, is suppressed. ( shut off) by the brain and the patient is not binocular yet remains asymptomatic.  Hope this brief explanation helps.     Dr Berger  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry