Ophthalmology & Optometry/single vision vs. progressive lenses

Question
I'm getting new glasses and don't know which lens type to choose. I'm nearsighted (-6.25 & -5.75), 45 years old. My current glasses are single vision & I see everything OK, except now I need to look below the lenses to see super up close (which is fine with me). At my appt. the doctor didn't say I needed progressives, but when I went to buy glasses the person there tried hard to sell me progressives. I get motion sick (& migraines) very easily & am worried about the focus changes. Do I really need progressives? I use my computer and watch TV all day, walk my dogs & drive a little. Will single vision lenses still allow me to do these 4 things comfortably? The only thing I have trouble with is beading, but I just take off my glasses for that (& also for things like getting out splinters, etc.). Thanks for any advice on this.

Answer
Hi Shelly,
If the doctor didn't increase the strength of the new Rx which would make your near vision harder than you've experienced through your current glasses then it doesn't sound like you need near help yet.  The four things you mentioned are not 'close' they are dist and intermediate (unless it's a laptop computer at 16 or so inches). And even if you got progressives you'd still look outside the glasses for super close.  At 45 and -6 you likely would think the change to a multifocal was a wrong and premature move.  Unless the doctor made a point of explaining a soon or immediate need for near help then hold off until next year and revisit the situation. The doctor must have written an 'Add' to give you in case you got a multifocal explaining the opticians push, but if you didn't go to the  doctor with a chief complaint of trouble at near, wait until you have that before getting multifocals, whether it is a bifocal or progressive.  
Welcome to adulthood ;)
Mitch Axelrod, OD

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Mitchell Axelrod