Ophthalmology & Optometry/Starbursts with new glasses

Question
Dear Dr Berger,

I am a 50-year-old male and got a new pair of progressive lens about one month ago. I am experiencing starbursts.

- At night, I see starbursts from traffic lights, car brake lights in front of me AND oncoming car headlights
- When I am in a shopping center, objects I look at seem to be glaring, which make me tired
- The same computer screen seems to be much brighter (compared to when I wore my old glasses) so I have to dim the screen

I am wondering whether this is normal for my age OR something is wrong with the prescription.

Thanks in advance,
CZ

Answer
Starburst at night is not normal  the cause can be either the prescription is not 100% accurate, the lenses may have been made incorrectly ie the height of the progressive zone may be too high, or you may require antirefection coating or anti glare coating.   Good luck.   Dr Berger  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

DR. KENNETH BERGER