Ophthalmology & Optometry/Change in Prism Correction

Question
Hi!
I have had a prism correction in my glasses for over 30 years.  I went to a new optometrist last week.  The exam was the over in record time.  When she got done, I asked her if she caught that I had a prism correction.  She acted surprised and asked to see my glasses.  She spent a lot of time looking at my glasses.  I also had last year's prescription for her.  She never did the test where I lined up horizontal and vertical lines.  (By the way, I have been to probably 5 different optometrists through the years and they all have come up with a need for prism correction).

When I got home and was comparing the prescription, I noticed the following:  Prior prescriptions I had .75 BO in each eye.  For the new prescription I have  1 BI in one eye, 1 BO in other eye.  I'm concerned that because whole exam was at lightening speed and she didn't do the alignment test, that this isn't going to be right.

Does it make sense that the prism would change that much.  Does it make sense that it would go from BI to BO?

In general she seems to have changed the Cylindrical and Axis measurements quite a bit too.  I haven't been noticing any vision problems...so that surprises me.  Here are old and new prescriptions in case that factors into the prism:
Old:
OD:  -6.75 sphere, -.75 cyl, 020 axis .75 BO Prism
OS:  -7.0 sphere, -.5 cyl, 020 axis, .75 BO Prism
Add +3.25

New:
OD:  -6.25 sphere, -50 cyl, 45 axis, 1 BI Prism
OS:  -6.75 sphere, -25 cyl, 25 axis, 1 BO Prism
Add:  +3.25

I haven't picked up my new glasses yet, it will be another week.  

Thanks for your help!
Dianne

Answer
Dianne,
You're right, it doesn't make sense at all to have such a large change.  It seems like the doctor didn't put as much time into assessing your vision needs as you have had in the past.

Another, very interesting note, is that horizontal prism is prescribed with the same base direction for each eye. For example, if your eye tend to drift out they will put base IN for each eye. (If you tend to drift in, they will put base OUT for each eye.)  The only time you would do a bi/bo prism is for someone with a visual field defect or stroke, where they may be missing a large area of vision.

Because the eyes work as a team, having different direction in base eye, the prism in the right eye neutralizes the left. You effectively have zero prism in your new glasses.

Also to note, vertical prism (base up / base down) is the opposite of horizontal--vertical prism is always up one eye, down in the other.

I wouldn't even take them home to try, the measurements don't make any sense.  I would schedule a consult / prescription check and have those alignment tests done. At the very least, have them match your old prism.

Hold your doctor to a higher standard. Make him/her work for it.

On another note, I'm not sure where you got your eyes checked, but to some degree, you get what you pay for. If you go to the Sam's Club $39 eye exam, in and out in 10 minutes, you're more likely to have problems because they don't/can't spend as much time with you.  I would always suggest scheduling an exam with a private-owned / private practice optometrist.

Good Luck,
Dr.D

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO