Ophthalmology & Optometry/eyesight improvement for Airforce

Hello Doctor,
I had been Selected by Indian Air Force recently but medical board had declared me unfit for flying branch. my eyesight is 6/60.It had been my longing dream to fly but now i have to settle for Technical/Ground branch.They have given me 42 days time,if i can improve my vision.Is there any way i can do so...exercises,diet,supplements anything? they r not allowing me to undergo LASIK now,as they need 1 year of uncomplicated period between LASIK and the medicals.

Dear Aman,

Yes, there are certain rules that the Indian Air Force follows. However, commerical airlines may not.

LASIK is the only procedure that you can consider as first choice to treat the spectacle powers.

Medically one may find you eligible for this procedure, however being an elective one, you need to decide for yourself if it is going to be helpful for you.

Do read more about this on

Dr Anand Shroff

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS

I can answer any question on eye care, expertise in Laser eye surgery, LASIK, Epi LASIK, cataract, glaucoma, keratoconus- corneal collagen crosslinking.

OF LASIK, we are one of the first centres to use the wavefront guided LASIK or custom LASIK procedures. I train doctors worldwide for these wavefront procedures, our centre is the referral centre for our Wavelight Laser Technologies, Germany in India.

ASCRS [American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery]certified by USA- Joint Commission International

MD Ophthalmology and FICS [Fellow of the International College of Surgeons]

please see and