Ophthalmology & Optometry/papilledema

Hi I am a 35 year old over weight female. My story is a long on  but I'll make it short for you to give you an idea what I'm going through. I went to the eye doctors for a normal exam. I go every 2 years for reading glasses. While i was there I had told the doc that my vision in my left eye has been concerning me . I just thought I need stronger glasses but here to find out my optic nerve was severely swollen due to pressure somewhere in the brain. I went for a Mri which came back good. the eye doc now wanted me to get a spinal tap done. out of fear and the unknown i never went. Now almost a year later my vision in my left eye has gotten so much worst.I now have blind spots so bad to where i cant see nothing at times. depending on my moments or rubbing the eye is when these blinding times occur. i know i have to take care of this but do i have time and if i don't get the spinal tap done what will or can happen to me.

Young overweight females are susceptible to pseudo tumor cerebri or idiopathic intracranial hypertension. It is usually seen in females who are overweight between ages 20-45. Often associated with Vit A, tetracycline , oral contraceptive pills, steroid use, thrombosis, pregnancy, and so on. Signs usually include decreased visual acuity, color vision, headache, transient visual blurriness, double vision, dizziness, nausea.  An orbital CT Scan or MRI is necessary to rule out an intracranial lesion i.e. tumor.  The management usually consists of medication like Diamox, diuretics, steroids (?), hope this helps but please do not ignore the diagnosis And treatment  as it could lead to permanent vision loss and ask your doctor to assist you with weight reduction. Good luck.   Dr Ken

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry