Ophthalmology & Optometry/Streaking after Cataract Surgery

Question
Hello, I had cataract surgery Dec 4, 2012 and had a monofocal technis lens inserted.  Surgery went fine and no complications.  Vision is 20/20 and the lens is centered properly.  About 2 1/2 weeks post surgery I started seeding a large diagonal line or streak across any point source of light even in the daytime.  My surgeon said he couldn't see any wrinkles in my posterior capsule and to give it time.  The streak did improve but is still there and I haven't really noticed any additional improvement in the past 3 weeks.  My questions are:
1.  Could this be caused by a posterior capsular fold even though my surgeon is unable to see the fold/wrinkle with a slit-lamp?
2.  Since I am now 11 weeks post op, is my capsule done shrinking and I am stuck with the streak that is left?
3.  If this is not being caused by a capsular fold, what other possible causes could there be?
4.  My surgeon says the brain adapts to visual aberrations for up to a year and to wait.  Does it really adapt for a whole year and, if so, is a streak like this something it can learn to filter out?
Thank you SO much for any info you can provide.  I am trying to be patient but I am quickly running out of hope that there is any chance this could actually improve.

Answer
Dear Karen,
Extremely sorry regarding the delayed response.
The Tecnis Lens is an excellent lens and knowing that is well centered helps me understand the situation better.
The common cause of the "streaking symptom" which you have both in the day as well as at night, is usually a fold in the posterior capsule. Most settle in 12 weeks time.
If for some reason it has not settled after that, then we still do consider a YAG laser capsulotomy, even if unable to see any significant fold on slit lamp examination.
You may suggest the same to your treating surgeon.
Keep me posted,
kind regards,
Dr Anand Shroff
www.shroffeye.org  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS