Ophthalmology & Optometry/vision after retinal detachment/with contacts

Question
thank-you for taking my question Dr.Dovie- my granddaughter was hit in the eye with a softball/ had a retinal detachment and sclera buckle two years ago- she is 16 ; she was a superb 'hitter'( offensive player# prior but last year could get only a rare hit- surprisingly, as softball season is about to start-she tells me that someone she trusts  # not her ophthalmologist#told her that she shouldn't be wearing her contact everyday-just when she plays softball !!
she hasn't been able to ask her Dr.as that person is always with her at visits.
I was taken back that she's been going about her life wth such limits on her vision all these months- her trusted person had told her that she needed to rest her eye from the contact until she needed to wear it for softball- I've advised wearing daily for quality of life & improved vision for "hitting the ball"- she is also going to reach out to her Dr.-your thoughts- thank-you again.

Answer
Anna,
As long as she takes good care of the lens and her eye (stressing hygiene, not sleeping in the lens, throwing them out on schedule, etc) there is no reason for her to not be wearing her contact lenses. If there was, the doctor would have educated her on this fact.
She should be wearing her contacts, or glasses, most of the time (if not all) to help her brain re-learn how to integrate the two images. After scleral buckle, the vision can be a bit distorted or changed, and without time to acclimate many people have a hard time getting used to the new vision. This will impact depth perception, which can absolutely make judging depth/speed/location almost impossible-hence her batting average goes down.
I would bring this to the attention of the doctor and let him/her educate the patient/parents/etc.
Good Luck!
Dr.D

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO