Ophthalmology & Optometry/candidate for Intraocular Lense Implant?

Question
I am a 43 year old female suffering from Meibomian Gland Dysfunction/Dry Eye for two years and am unable to wear my contacts.  Would I be a candidate for an Inraocular Lense Implant?  
I have tried various treatments for my dry eye (i.e. lipiflow, intense pulse light therapy, various antibiotics, restasis, steroids) and nothing has helped.  I feel that wearing my glasses limits me in may daily activities.  I am currently being tested for various automimmune disorders.  I recently got diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroiditis.

Answer
Dear Tracy,

IOL or lens implant surgery is not an alternative for contact lens wear. Although, there are certain category of patients who qualify for a clear lens exchange, wherein the lens is implanted in place of the natural lens, very similar to that when done for a cataract surgery.

One needs to treat your dry eyes condition.

Even after the lens implant, you may still suffer from dissatisfied vision due to quality issues with the tear film.

Dry eyes need to be treated in a step wise manner.

Thyroid disorders are one of the causes known to cause dry eyes.

I suggest that you re assess the situation 3-6 months after starting the medical treatment for the same and see if it helps the dryness of eyes.

Best Regards,

Dr Anand Shroff
www.shroffeye.org

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS