Ophthalmology & Optometry/candidate for Intraocular Lense Implant?

I am a 43 year old female suffering from Meibomian Gland Dysfunction/Dry Eye for two years and am unable to wear my contacts.  Would I be a candidate for an Inraocular Lense Implant?  
I have tried various treatments for my dry eye (i.e. lipiflow, intense pulse light therapy, various antibiotics, restasis, steroids) and nothing has helped.  I feel that wearing my glasses limits me in may daily activities.  I am currently being tested for various automimmune disorders.  I recently got diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroiditis.

Dear Tracy,

IOL or lens implant surgery is not an alternative for contact lens wear. Although, there are certain category of patients who qualify for a clear lens exchange, wherein the lens is implanted in place of the natural lens, very similar to that when done for a cataract surgery.

One needs to treat your dry eyes condition.

Even after the lens implant, you may still suffer from dissatisfied vision due to quality issues with the tear film.

Dry eyes need to be treated in a step wise manner.

Thyroid disorders are one of the causes known to cause dry eyes.

I suggest that you re assess the situation 3-6 months after starting the medical treatment for the same and see if it helps the dryness of eyes.

Best Regards,

Dr Anand Shroff

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS

I can answer any question on eye care, expertise in Laser eye surgery, LASIK, Epi LASIK, cataract, glaucoma, keratoconus- corneal collagen crosslinking.

OF LASIK, we are one of the first centres to use the wavefront guided LASIK or custom LASIK procedures. I train doctors worldwide for these wavefront procedures, our centre is the referral centre for our Wavelight Laser Technologies, Germany in India.

ASCRS [American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery]certified by USA- Joint Commission International

MD Ophthalmology and FICS [Fellow of the International College of Surgeons]

please see and