Ophthalmology & Optometry/Distance vision with new glasses blurry

Question
QUESTION: I recently purchased new glasses after wearing my previous ones for 5 years because I was starting to strain while reading.  With my new prescription the reading and mid vision was good but the distance after about 40 feet was blurred, not sharp at all.  When I would put my old glasses on and look at the same objects such as road signs, people, buildings, they come into clear focus.  I have worn the new glasses for 3 weeks now, could there be something wrong with the prescription. My age is 60 if that matters any.  Below are my last 3 exam results.

NEW EXAM  2/9/13     Sphere OD  + 2.50    Cylinder - 0.50    Axis 126    Add + 2.50
         Sphere OS  + 2.00    Cylinder - 0.25    Axis 090    Add + 2.50

PREVIOUS   6/30/11    Sphere OD  + 2.25    Cylinder - 0.75   Axis 145    Add  + 2.50
(NEVER FILLED)          Sphere OS  + 1.75     

OLD 1/24/08          Sphere OD  + 2.00    Cylinder - 0.50    Axis 140    Add  + 2.25
(STILL WEARING)        Sphere OS   + 1.50    Cylinder - 0.25   Axis  120   Add  + 2.25

Thank you

ANSWER: Richard,
What you're experiencing isn't unusual; the good news is that it's normally an easy fix.  As we age many people tend to increase in "plus," which is what your Rx did (went from +2.00 to +2.50).  In the exam room, it's easy to pick out a higher number, as it makes things closer more comfortable. We do normally adjust these numbers for distances, but many people have a hard time adjusting to 'more plus.'  Moving it back down, but increasing the bifocal to compensate is normally the fix that works best for me.
I would get back in touch with your Dr. and request a consult / Rx check--these should be no charge. I would suggest bringing the new Glasses, and with them on, standing in the optical, have them put some "minus" lenses in front of the new ones. Putting a -0.25 in front of your glasses would make the right eye +2.25 instead of +2.50.  Maybe you want -0.50, and that would bring it back down to +2.00.  *BUT* as you put minus in front of them, it will decrease the bifocal strength, so be careful, that may need to be bumped up to compensate.
Good Luck!
Dr.D

QUESTION: SO you think by backing down the RX on the Sphere of both eyes and possibly increasing the Add might help the distance vision or just the right eye. Is there anything in the RX with the Axis that might cause the problem, or any type of Glaucoma that would affect my distance vision only ?

Answer
Glaucoma, cataracts, and other eye conditions typically affect both far and near vision. The fact that your old glasses are comfortable make me feel confident it's a strength issue.  I was giving an example of the right eye, but I would expect them to change both eyes and move them down a quarter or half step. This should make the distance vision much more comfortable.  The axis may be part of the issue, but I don't think it's as dramatic as the other changes noted.
Good Luck!
Dr.D

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO