Ophthalmology & Optometry/Duane's Syndrom & Lasik

Question
Hello.

I have Duane's and it seems compared to some it's a generally mild case if such a thing exits.  In my case it's a left-right issue instead of vertical or up/down restriction.  The eye effected, my left, also has significantly poorer vision.  

I understand Duane's is about the range of motion, but I remember as a kid having to patch my right eye to strengthen my weaker left.

My question is, would having Lasik done on my left eye to improve the vision then cause my brain to use it more and help with the condition, or would it not matter?

I've worn glasses all my life - to be honest, not wearing them feels weird, so this is not a matter of cosmetics.  Just trying to avoid troubles down the road when I am older. (Currently 26)

Answer
Dear  Beth,
Sorry for the delay in reply.

Once the visual pathway to the brain has been established (which usually happens by age 10 years), it is rather difficult to expect any improvement in lines of vision (visual acuity) if other factors interfering with vision have been ruled out.

In Duane's Syndrome, if considering any vision correction such as LASIK, the doctor needs to evaluate to see if this procedure will benefit you.

Basically, you must understand that the vision post LASIK may not be any better than the current vision with glasses.

If this is acceptable to at least have an initial LASIK evaluation, by all means, have a consultation to define your expectations better.

Best Regards,
Dr Shroff
www.lasikindia.in  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS