Ophthalmology & Optometry/Red Veins in Eyes

Good Afternoon,
I've noticed that I have a few red veins in the corner of my eyeballs in white part which extend near the iris. I never used to have them.

I work on a computer all day, and was wondering if that could cause them to become visible?

I dont need glasses and dont use them, my vision is fine, its mostly an aesthetic issue - although sometimes when I am tired one of the veins in my left eye I can notice under my eyelid when my eyes are closed.

Would redness relief drops help? what can I do to fix this?

thank you!

Dear Abby.  Dilated blood vessels in the eye which become more prominent after prolonged computer use can be due to eye strain and ocular fatigue, A complete eye examination can determine what the cause is and if eyeglasses are necessary for close work. Another reason could very well be dry eyes which also is more apparent after and during excessive computer/desk work .If its the superficial conjunctival vessels, these can be treated with lubricants, astringents, and vasoconstrictors .  If its the deeper episcleral vessels,which are dilated,  then there is no treAtment indicated.  Hope this helps.  Dr Ken

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry