Ophthalmology & Optometry/Camera flash and babies

Dear doctor,

Many people usually take pictures of their newborns using a camera flash. Could that light be harmful to a baby's eyes or is it completely safe?

Dear Con,

There is no published evidence that states that the flash of a camera damages the eyes or the retina.
The flash uses light which is very similar in intensity as bright daylight, however, due to the contrast indoors, it seems much brighter and intense.

The UV rays from the sun are in fact more harmful.

Nevertheless, it may help to hold the camera not too close to the baby's face as though not harmful, it is not pleasant.

Hope this helps,

Dr Anand Shroff

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS

I can answer any question on eye care, expertise in Laser eye surgery, LASIK, Epi LASIK, cataract, glaucoma, keratoconus- corneal collagen crosslinking.

OF LASIK, we are one of the first centres to use the wavefront guided LASIK or custom LASIK procedures. I train doctors worldwide for these wavefront procedures, our centre is the referral centre for our Wavelight Laser Technologies, Germany in India.

ASCRS [American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery]certified by USA- Joint Commission International

MD Ophthalmology and FICS [Fellow of the International College of Surgeons]

please see http://www.shroffeye.org and www.lasikindia.in