Ophthalmology & Optometry/Depth Perception

Question
When I was 3 years old I had eye surgery to correct strabismus in my left eye. I'm 16 now and play competitive softball. I've always known my depth perception was different from every one else's but it's never been an issue until recently. I struggle to see the ball when it's pitched at me,and sometimes I misjudge how far away a person is when I throw. I was wondering if there is a surgery or something I can do to improve my depth perception?

Answer
Unfortunately there is no surgery to Aid with your depth perception.  Stereopsis is a function of binocular of the two eyes teaming and coordinating ability ..with strabismus  and post eye muscle surgery, this function is usually compromised to some degree   Hope this helps.   However you may benefit from a course of visual rehabilitation and training  to enhance this function  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

DR. KENNETH BERGER