Ophthalmology & Optometry/Eye Stye

Question
Good Evening Sir,

I have had a internal hordeolum for about 3 weeks now. The first week, my upper eye lids swelled up pretty good and it felt as if something was scratching my eye. I lifted up my eyelid and I saw a pimple in there. I went to the Doctors and suggested warm compress and prescribed me topical erythimicin. After about a week, the swelling went away and all felt normal, so I felt everything was healed. So today, 3 weeks later, I rubbed my eyes because I was tired, and I was curiopus to see if it healed all the way. So I lifted up my eye lid and I still seen the bump(Now specifically smaller) and i still notice a small amount of pus coming out but not as bed. How long does these things last? I have had sinus congestion/Post nasal prior to the stye, and I am now dealing with allegies, so not sure if its connected. Any help would be appreciated.

Answer
Dear Scot,

Sinusitis or nasal congestion may delay the process of healing.
Typically this takes about 15 days to settle.
However, in this period the stye has to be treated with hot compress (hot enough to work and not scald you) done repeatedly. many just do it once or thrice a day and think that it is sufficient. inn fact the more you give it heat, the more liquified it gets and easily absorbed or bursts out as a discharge.
Most often the discharge is sterile, so there is no need for any antibiotic eye drops or ointments.

However, you may speak to your eye doctor to give an antibiotic eye drop for the same if needed.

Read more about stye on shroffeye.org

Hope this information helps
Best
Dr Anand Shroff

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS