Ophthalmology & Optometry/flickering seen in eye after cataract surgery

I had cataract surgery in both eyes recently. In left eye, 2 months ago. In right eye, 2 weeks ago. In both eyes, a  flickering light can be seen by others when light hits the eye. I can also see it when looking at my eyes in a mirror with the sunlight or artificial light hitting either of them.  I had thought this would disappear. This is very disturbing, in certain conditions, it looks like I have bionic eyes.  I was not advised beforehand that this could happen after surgery. I am very happy that my vision was greatly improved, however, I feel uncomfortable now looking people in the eye. When I mentioned it to the doctor, he said, "Oh, now you have a twinkle in your eye." He suggested wearing tinted glasses.  Really??  

Is it possible that this change over time? My mother had cataract surgery and I have never seen anything like that in her eyes. Please advise.

Dear Nika,

The "glint" that you see is probably due to a large pupil. It is usually more obvious in dim light versus bright light.
Your mother being older probably has a smaller pupil size.
There are eye drops which can be used to reduce pupil size, however, being medicated, it is best to speak to the treating eye surgeon for this.
I would also suggest that you wait till 3-4 months as the eye continue to heal and the symptoms may have decreased by then.

Dr Shroff  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS

I can answer any question on eye care, expertise in Laser eye surgery, LASIK, Epi LASIK, cataract, glaucoma, keratoconus- corneal collagen crosslinking.

OF LASIK, we are one of the first centres to use the wavefront guided LASIK or custom LASIK procedures. I train doctors worldwide for these wavefront procedures, our centre is the referral centre for our Wavelight Laser Technologies, Germany in India.

ASCRS [American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery]certified by USA- Joint Commission International

MD Ophthalmology and FICS [Fellow of the International College of Surgeons]

please see and