Ophthalmology & Optometry/LASIK to treat metamorphopsia symptomatically?

I have an epiretinal membrane, with metamorphopsia as well as some diminished acuity in that eye. Since LASIK can be programmed to produce a wavefront distortion, and one can compute a distortion at the cornea that would help to compensate for the distortion at the retina, I wonder whether LASIK is being used (or could be) to treat the metamorphopsia symptom?  (I understand it would do nothing to help the diminished acuity caused by the epiretinal membrane.)

I have read of a case in which LASIK caused PVD which gave rise to epiretinal membrane. Since I already have PVD in the affected eye, is there any downside to using LASIK for the above purpose (if possible), or more generally for ordinary correction of myopia in that eye?

Dear Ralph,

LASIK not advised for epiretinal membrane treatment. It is only for correcting Myopia and Astigmatism alone.
Although in theory the application may seem useful, it is not meant for the same.The only surgical treatment most commonly used is a vitrectomy. You may read more about this on

Hope this helps,

Anand Shroff

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS

I can answer any question on eye care, expertise in Laser eye surgery, LASIK, Epi LASIK, cataract, glaucoma, keratoconus- corneal collagen crosslinking.

OF LASIK, we are one of the first centres to use the wavefront guided LASIK or custom LASIK procedures. I train doctors worldwide for these wavefront procedures, our centre is the referral centre for our Wavelight Laser Technologies, Germany in India.

ASCRS [American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery]certified by USA- Joint Commission International

MD Ophthalmology and FICS [Fellow of the International College of Surgeons]

please see and