Ophthalmology & Optometry/How does a traumatic eye injury cause a change in iris color?

In the list of main causes for iris discolouration ,trauma (eye injury) all ways pops up ,so I was wondering what kind of injury to the eye causes a change in eye color and how does the injury actually cause the color change?

Dear Jeff,

The kind of trauma that may cause discoloration of the iris (which is internally placed in your eye)is something like a penetrating eye injury or perforating injury.
But there are other causes like some medicines, eye drops and also some systemic illnesses.

An eye specialist will be able to guide you better after an eye examination and detailed history.

Dr Shroff

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS

I can answer any question on eye care, expertise in Laser eye surgery, LASIK, Epi LASIK, cataract, glaucoma, keratoconus- corneal collagen crosslinking.

OF LASIK, we are one of the first centres to use the wavefront guided LASIK or custom LASIK procedures. I train doctors worldwide for these wavefront procedures, our centre is the referral centre for our Wavelight Laser Technologies, Germany in India.

ASCRS [American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery]certified by USA- Joint Commission International

MD Ophthalmology and FICS [Fellow of the International College of Surgeons]

please see and