Ophthalmology & Optometry/Baby with iris 'spike' going into pupil

Eye original image
Eye original image  

iris spike
iris spike  
My 11 week old boy has a small 'spike' of iris colour entering the pupil in one eye. His eyes appear otherwise perfect with a very crisp perfectly round edge to the pupil. The 'spike' is the same colour as the iris and enters the pupil maybe 1\6th the diameter of the pupil depending the dilation at the time.
Nothing was mentioned by the Pediatrician when he was checked but since then our curiosity has got the better of us.. I had a poor attempt at getting a photo of it (attached)
Your opinion would be very much appreciated.
Kind regards,

From your photo it appears that your baby merely has an extension of the iris material from the collarette zone of her iris (the tissue surrounding the pupil) and is an anomaly of birth.  It should be nothing to worry about and requires no  medical or surgical treatment. If you wish to get a pediatric ophthalmologists opinion to give you peace if mind, please do so.   So long that the structure in question stats the same, with no change in color, shape, size, or elevation, there's no need for concern.   Hope this helps.  Dr Ken  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry