Ophthalmology & Optometry/Baby with iris 'spike' going into pupil

Question
Eye original image
Eye original image  

iris spike
iris spike  
Hello,
My 11 week old boy has a small 'spike' of iris colour entering the pupil in one eye. His eyes appear otherwise perfect with a very crisp perfectly round edge to the pupil. The 'spike' is the same colour as the iris and enters the pupil maybe 1\6th the diameter of the pupil depending the dilation at the time.
Nothing was mentioned by the Pediatrician when he was checked but since then our curiosity has got the better of us.. I had a poor attempt at getting a photo of it (attached)
Your opinion would be very much appreciated.
Kind regards,
Oliver

Answer
From your photo it appears that your baby merely has an extension of the iris material from the collarette zone of her iris (the tissue surrounding the pupil) and is an anomaly of birth.  It should be nothing to worry about and requires no  medical or surgical treatment. If you wish to get a pediatric ophthalmologists opinion to give you peace if mind, please do so.   So long that the structure in question stats the same, with no change in color, shape, size, or elevation, there's no need for concern.   Hope this helps.  Dr Ken  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

DR. KENNETH BERGER