Ophthalmology & Optometry/Corneal Abrasion

Question
A year ago, after washing my face, the edge of the napkin that I used to dry my face accidentally scratched the inside of my left eye. I felt an immediate pain and my eyes started to water and the pain was unbearable. Even though there was no blood, I could see a visible scratch on my eye ball and I could barely open my eyes. I immediately went to the eye doctor. As soon as he put a numbing drops, I couldn't feel the pain.He said it was a Corneal Abrasion I was on antibiotics and lubricant eye drops for a few weeks and it seemed to have healed. After a few days I could still feel as though a twig was between my eye lid and cornea, but it went away when I put the lubricant drops and at night time I would use an ointment so that I don't feel any irritation when I wake up.
Today, a year has passed and the drops are not doing any good. I still feel the irritation. Every time I go to a doctor, they pour the numbing drops and say that everything looks normal and keep using the drops. But I know there is more to it cause I still feel it irritate every time I wake up in the morning and blink throughout the day and my vision gets a little blurred due to the watering. Please let me know if anything more can be done to prevent this from happening and to recover to a perfectly healthy eye like i used to have it. My sincere thanks.

Answer
Dear Simi,
Thank you for a detailed history.
Assuming that the diagnosis was that of a corneal abrasion, this would heal in maximum 2 months time.

If this is a repeated occurrence, then the cause must be determined (recurrent keratitis). The symptom of irritation and foreign body sensation could be due to some other issues as well.

Unfortunately, diagnosing this needs a thorough examination and not possible by mail.
You need to see a good corneal specialist or if in Mumbai, we are happy to help.

Best
Dr Anand Shroff
www.shroffeye.org
Shroff Eye Hospital, Mumbai
+91 66921000

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS