Ophthalmology & Optometry/I Have Two Eye Care Questions.

Question
My first question: Is it safe to use something like fabric glue to keep the arms on my glasses from falling off when they get loose? I've had to get the screws tightened twice in the last few months. I know it's time for me to go in for an exam soon but I don't have the money for an exam and glasses right now.

My other question is when I was 16 the eye doctor told me to keep my glasses on at all times except for when I was reading or on the computer and sleeping (obviously.) Wouldn't have been better for me to keep them on at all times especially because the main reason I had to get glasses in the first place was so I could read the chalk board at school? Wouldn't taking them on and off so much cause more stress on the eyes?

Answer
I don't think fabric glue is bad or unsafe, but I doubt it will work like you want it to.  Before you start gluing, etc, take them to your local eye care shop. If they can be repaired, most will do repairs for free. As a return favor, make your appointment there next time.

Keeping the glasses on all the time vs part-time has no overall impact on most people's eyes. Wearing them (or not wearing them) shouldn't change the way your eyes grow / progress as you age. Recent studies have found it's more about the tasks we're doing (computer work vs being outside) and the environment we're doing them in (natural sunlight vs artificial).  It's very unlikely that taking them on / off caused any harm.

Good Luck!
Dr.D

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO