Ophthalmology & Optometry/myopia

Hello Sir,
  My daughter is 7 yrs old and have high myopic vision. Left eye -7.50 & right eye -4.5. Please help me know how can it be controlled from further increasing and looking at her age n high power I am really worried. I had my lasik done but have little problem with right eye but still  is manageable. Can anything be done for her eyes? Will she be able to get rid of glasses n have a corrected vision.? I really feel helpless when I see her. Please help me know what n how can I take care of her eyes and prevent further Increase of her power . Any medications eg. Drops, exercise and nutrition can help her?
Please help me know. Thanking you.

Dear Pooja,

I can understand your concern. Firstly, do not worry. This is a very common problem in today’s times with more Game Boys and Video Games and TV compared to earlier times of outdoor sports.  It simply means your child having to use a spectacle correction, even though it may seem a huge number to you.

The most important thing is to see an ophthalmologist regularly, preferably one that sees children. We are based in Mumbai and would be very happy to see your child, as we also run a Vision Therapy Clinic that will help your child.

LASIK or laser eye surgery is not advisable in childhood but only after the physical growth is complete so that there are no changing numbers. This is usually after age 18 years.
Until then, your child needs to be cajoled into wearing the glasses regularly so as to not compromise the lines of sight or vision or develop a lazy or amblyopic eye while growing up. We help you with that as well.
Your child can plan on wearing contact lenses in teens and we can plan a Permanent correction with laser technology when older (18 years plus).
Till then you will have to work on your child to use glasses regularly, go for regular eye checks and keep the records safely.
You can also try eye exercises (though there is no research committing to their benefits completely, but no harm either). These are available on our parent website www.shroffeye.org.
Hope this information helps,
You can keep me posted on the progress.
Kind regards,
Dr Anand Shroff
Shroff Eye Hospital
+91 66921000

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS

I can answer any question on eye care, expertise in Laser eye surgery, LASIK, Epi LASIK, cataract, glaucoma, keratoconus- corneal collagen crosslinking.

OF LASIK, we are one of the first centres to use the wavefront guided LASIK or custom LASIK procedures. I train doctors worldwide for these wavefront procedures, our centre is the referral centre for our Wavelight Laser Technologies, Germany in India.

ASCRS [American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery]certified by USA- Joint Commission International

MD Ophthalmology and FICS [Fellow of the International College of Surgeons]

please see http://www.shroffeye.org and www.lasikindia.in