Ophthalmology & Optometry/Progressive Lenses


Hello...my question is:
I work at the computer 8 hours a day my prescription is:
Right Eye: +2.25
Left Eye: +2.25
Reading: +2.50
I want to buy progressives and there's many materials available
what would be your recommendation about material to use CR39 / Polycarbonate / High Index 1.67 / High Index 1.74 / Trivex
I want to have the middle section or corridor with the maximum height possible.
Can I use grey tint for helping with the long hours at the screen...?
Also let me know your comments abouts brands also

Hi Gonzalo,
You can ask an optician for their opinion, mine is to use CR39 if thickness or safety isn't a big issue.  as for design of progressives, many manufacturers have many models and claims.  I've learned that cheap is cheap to an extent, so rely on the info from the optician you're buying from.  Tint, if any, is strictly personal preference, usually a mild pink tint is used for office lighting. I am a fan of anti-reflection coating, and would strongly suggest that.
Best regards,
Mitch Axelrod, OD

Ophthalmology & Optometry

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mitchell Axelrod


I'm happy to answer questions about eye exam findings and procedures, glasses and contact lens types/prescriptions/problems. I can also answer questions about general eye conditions/diseases. I do not answer questions concerning surgical techniques/procedures. Please state your age or within a small range when asking questions, as it is often important.


Optometrist 19 yrs.

Doctor of Optometry, cum laude; Residency in Ocular Disease

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.