Ophthalmology & Optometry/the right eye drop?

Thank you so much for volunteering your time to help!

Last week I got my first eye infection- bacterial conjunctivitis. (yuck!) I was put on cipro drops and an oral antibiotic and have been following the regimen to a T. My eye looks and feels a million times better.

The one issue I've been having is that my eyes are itchy and sometimes they also feel a little dry (which, to me, feels like I have a lost eyelash in there). I called the dr this weekend to ask if I could take an over-the-counter drop for these other symptoms and after hours of waiting and calling back, I decided to go to the pharmacy and ask a pharmacist. She said that allergy drops might help but wouldnt recommend w cipro so she suggested lubricating drops. I got those and they do help with dryness but still have itchiness.

I do have allergies and in the past have been on oral med, flonase and patanol. Can you recommend an OTC eye drop that would be ok for me to try? I wont try anything new until I've finished the cipro, which will be today. I've heard that Visine is bad for eyes so I want something that's healthy, that I can use when needed (and using it wont create a need for it, if that makes sense).

Whew! Sorry for the long-winded question! I don't know a thing about eyes! Except that I'd like to keep mine. and keep them comfortable and capable of seeing. =)

Thank you for your help!!

Happy to help, here's what I got for ya...
OTC allergy drops like Alaway or Zaditor would be fine.
So would patanol, if you still have any around.
These won't hurt anything while you're on the cipro... BUT
I suspect the main reason your irritated/dry/itchy/etc is from the cipro itself--It's not very gentle to the ocular surface.
I would recommend using artificial tears like systane, optice, or gentile 3-4 x a day. Feel free to use the anti-allergy drops twice daily as needed, but this should subside quickly after you stop the meds.
Just as a quick FYI, next time you have a pink eye, go see an eye doctor - we tend to use more up to date meds that have less side effects (very few eye doctors Rx, cipro drops any more).
Good Luck!

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO

As a residency-trained Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry I am able to answer most questions regarding eye and vision health. Anything is welcome, ranging from dry or allergy eyes, bifocal contact lenses, or thoughts on LASIK surgery. As I am not a surgeon, detail-oriented surgical-related questions may be better answered by an ophthalmologist.

Selected to participate in the PCO residency program in Philadelphia at The Eye Institute, where I worked OD and MD specialists gaining invaluable experience in various clinics including glaucoma, cornea and cataract, oculo-plastics, retinal disease, neuro-ophthalmic disease, primary care, emergency medicine, and special populations. Have practiced and trained in numerous settings including hospital, academic, retail and private practice. I earned my Fellowship in the American Academy of Optometry (FAAO). There are currently only about 3000 active fellows worldwide, and there are only about 70 Fellows in the state of Virginia. I currently own and operate my own optometric practice/clinic.

American Academy of Optometry, American Optometric Association (Contact Lens/Cornea Section member since 2001), Southwest Virginia Optometric Association, Virginia Tech Alumni Association

“Nyctalopia as the Presenting Sign of Vitamin A Deficiency: A Late Complication of Gastric Bypass Surgery.” Clinical Case Study Poster presented at The American Academy of Optometry Denver, Colorado, December 2006, co-authored with Bradley Lane, OD.
“The Importance of Considering Paranasal Sinus Mucocele as a Differential Diagnosis in Diplopia.” Clinical Case Study Poster presented at The American Academy of Optometry San Diego, California, December 2005, co-authored with Kelly Malloy, OD, FAAO and Cherie Farkash, OD.
“Acute Onset of Halos and Glare: Bilateral Keratitis—An Atypical Presentation of Amiodarone Keratopathy.” Clinical Case Study Poster presented at The American Academy of Optometry Tampa, Florida December 2004. Also Presented to New Jersey Academy of Optometry, Neptune, New Jersey March 2005.
“The Opportunity for an Optometrist to Save a Life.” Clinical Case Study and Grand Rounds Presentation presented at The Pennsylvania College of Optometry, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September 2004.
“Corneal whorls cause wonder.” Clinical Challenges Quiz, co-authored with Andrew Gurwood, OD, FAAO, Review of Optometry. Published 10/15/2006.
“Acute onset of halos and glare: bilateral corneal epithelial edema with cystic eruptions--atypical presentation of amiodarone keratopathy.” Co-authored with Andrew Gurwood, OD, FAAO. Published February, 2006, Optometry.
“Pondering the posterior polka-dots.” Clinical Challenges Quiz, co-authored with Andrew Gurwood, OD, FAAO, Review of Optometry. Published 5/15/2005.
Professional Involvement:
“AION: Amiodarone-Induced or Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy?” Participated as a peer-review referee for Expert Review of Ophthalmology (London, UK); refereed 10/2006.

Bachelor of Science, Cum Laude, Virginia Tech. Bachelor of Science, Pennsylvania College of Optometry. Doctorate (OD), Pennsylvania College of Optometry Residency, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry

Winner, First Place, "Best Beside Manner" by Our Health Magazine: 2012, 2013, 2014 Winner, First Place, "Best Eye Doctor" by The Roanoke Times: 2013, 2014 Recognized as a Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry, December, 2006 Recipient of the Onofrey G. Rybachok Memorial Scholarship, 2000-2001 Member: The Golden Key International Honor Society Member: The National Biological Honor Society Member: The National Honor Society Eagle Scout awarded 1994