Ophthalmology & Optometry/Central Serous Retinopathy

Question
Hi Dr. Berger,

I have Central Serous Retinopathy (CSR) in my right eye.  It has been about 6 months now since the start of this condition and my eye continues to leak.  I have a couple of questions below:

1. Is it safe for me to wait much longer without treatment or would I be risking some type of permanent damage to my eye leaving the condition as is and it continues to leak?

2. My local doctor said that laser treatment is possible for me but this may leave me with a few blind spots.  Is this procedure high risk? Is there a high risk for getting blind spots from laser treatment of CSR?  The leak is not in my central vision.

Thank you,
Sanjay

Answer
Most cases of CSR resolve spontaneously without treatment   If the retinal specialists feel that laser is advisable and will help , after discussing the risks and rewards, then follow his advice.  It can last 4-12 months so I would rush into laser therapy just yet .   Good luck  Dr ken  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

DR. KENNETH BERGER