Ophthalmology & Optometry/How does an eye injury cause heterochromia?

Question
Hello doctor i was wondering if you could answer this question for me ,I have heard that injury's to the eye can cause a change in eye (iris) color like heterochromia ,so I was wondering how this happens? What kind of injury causes it? and does the whole of the iris change to a different color ,If so what color? Thanks

Answer
Dear Terry,

Iris color is determined by its pigment called melanin. Though it is very uncommon but loss of Melanin due to penetrative injury may cause heterochromia.

Heterochromia is mostly due to genetic reasons, uni-ocular Iritis, Iris atrophy etc.

Regards.
Optom.Amit Sharma

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Optom. Amit Sharma