Ophthalmology & Optometry/Lens

Question
I was wondering how lens magnifications are determined? For a lens to magnify by large factors does the lens need to be really large or does it mostly have to do with the convexity of the lens? I can only assume a handheld telescope no matter how much money is put into it will not see distances as far as the hubble telescope?

Answer
Dear James,
It is the combination of a few parameters that include , Focal length of the lens, Refractive index, Diameter , asphericity, abbe value etc that is required in a lens to make a telescope.

High convexity in small diameter causes too much of chromatic aberrations. So for a higher convex lens diameter has to be large to minimize unwanted aberrations on the lens.

Regards
Optom.Amit Sharma

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Optom. Amit Sharma