Ophthalmology & Optometry/sparatic loss of peripheral vision

Question
My nephew is 29 years old. He has long periods with lack of peripheral vision. He describes it as Kalidescope, bright colors, but nothing recognizible. After this passes, and he has complete vision back, he ends with a serious headache. What causes this?  Thank You for your consideration.

Answer
Dear Amanda,

There are a number of eye conditions that causes kaleidoscopic vision or flashes of lights. But as in case of your nephew this episode lasts for a few minutes only , This kind of visual disturbance followed by headache is termed as Ocular Migraine.

Ocular Migraines generally does not require any treatment but you may consult your general Physician for advice.

Regards
Optom.Amit Sharma

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Optom. Amit Sharma