Ophthalmology & Optometry/Dry Eyes

Question
QUESTION: Hi John,

I was wondering if you could please help me?

I have had 'blepharitis' for a number of years.  Sometimes it will also disappear for years!  I do know it is a chronic condition that there is currently no cure for, to date!!  I am female, aged 34.

What I wanted to know is can you recommend any good preservative free eye drops?

I currently use Blephasol as an eye makeup remover.  And then Thealoz as an eye drop, only when I really need it though, but it is quite pricey and it only lasts for 2 months once opened.

Do you know of any other preservative free eye drop that is cheaper/better/lasts longer?

Also is the Blephasol and preservative eye drops enough to control the condition?

Thanks,

Lisa.

ANSWER: Lisa,

I have found that lid hygiene and lubrication be the main-stays of good control.  I suggest an eye scrub (be gentle!) like ocusoft or sterilid.  Diluting organic tea tree shampoo works VERY well for this as well.  (something like JASON tea tree shampoo)

Lid hygiene normalizes and controls the bacterial and microbe growth around the eyelid margin--this is a large component of the symptoms.

Artificial tears are important to normalize the ocular surface, and I would suggest Theratears, Systane, or Refresh as my top three brands.

Treating with just artificial tears only helps the symptoms, but does little fix the real problem - which is inflammation/irritation of the eyelid margin, glands, etc.  

Good Luck!
Dr.D

QUESTION: Hi Dr.D,

That's great.  Thanks for replying.

Do you think I should stop the Blephasol and use a normal eye makeup remover instead?

Then use either ocusoft or sterilid twice a day?  Would I still use this if I have no symptoms?

Also, lastly, just use the artificial tears as a last resort?  Can eyes get too used to artificial tears so that they become reliant on them?

Sorry, there are a lot of questions.

Thank you.

Lisa.

Answer
I am unfamiliar with Blephasol, but at a quick glance (reading on Amazon.com) I would suggest using Ocusoft pads instead.

For the first week or two, try twice daily, then move to just in the evenings when you're removing makeup.

I would use artificial tears twice daily for the first few weeks to help heal and recondition the ocular surface. Use them as needed for flare ups and irritation.

Good Luck!
Dr.D

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO