Ophthalmology & Optometry/cataract surgery complication

Question
I had my first cataract removed 1 month ago and the 2nd 2 days ago.  I have 20/20 vision in both eyes.  But....I have a line in
the outer edge of the field of vision in both lines.  It starts at the top of the field of vision as a straight line and then curves toward the center of the eye at the bottom.  The surgeon
and my optometrist are puzzled and tell me maybe I'll get used to the lines or they will go away.  Can  you explain this?

Answer
Dear Gwen.

The first thing a surgeon would look for is to check the location of the IOL or intra ocular lens placed in the eye. Assuming that is normal, then one may consider a diagnosis of "negative dysphotopsia". this happens due to the change of lens from your natural to the lens implant placed, and one needs  to wait for our brain to adjust to this, called neuro adaptation.

Repeat a retinal examination to be sure, in any case that the post cataract surgery, lens etc. is in position.

This will settle down in few weeks time.

Keep me posted,

Best
Dr Shroff

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS