Ophthalmology & Optometry/cataract surgery complication

I had my first cataract removed 1 month ago and the 2nd 2 days ago.  I have 20/20 vision in both eyes.  But....I have a line in
the outer edge of the field of vision in both lines.  It starts at the top of the field of vision as a straight line and then curves toward the center of the eye at the bottom.  The surgeon
and my optometrist are puzzled and tell me maybe I'll get used to the lines or they will go away.  Can  you explain this?

Dear Gwen.

The first thing a surgeon would look for is to check the location of the IOL or intra ocular lens placed in the eye. Assuming that is normal, then one may consider a diagnosis of "negative dysphotopsia". this happens due to the change of lens from your natural to the lens implant placed, and one needs  to wait for our brain to adjust to this, called neuro adaptation.

Repeat a retinal examination to be sure, in any case that the post cataract surgery, lens etc. is in position.

This will settle down in few weeks time.

Keep me posted,

Dr Shroff

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS

I can answer any question on eye care, expertise in Laser eye surgery, LASIK, Epi LASIK, cataract, glaucoma, keratoconus- corneal collagen crosslinking.

OF LASIK, we are one of the first centres to use the wavefront guided LASIK or custom LASIK procedures. I train doctors worldwide for these wavefront procedures, our centre is the referral centre for our Wavelight Laser Technologies, Germany in India.

ASCRS [American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery]certified by USA- Joint Commission International

MD Ophthalmology and FICS [Fellow of the International College of Surgeons]

please see and