Ophthalmology & Optometry/Glaucoma

What is the average value of RNFL thickness in a non glaucomatous eye as determined by oct?My RNFL thickness as per oct is 79 in right & 91 in the left eye. My doc believes its due to my high myopia (-11 in right & -1.50 in the left eye).Does myopia affect RNFL thickness?

Dear Prashant,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

You seem to be in good hands.

yes, RNFL thickness is considered in Glaucoma diagnosis in some cases and yes, studies show that the axial length affects the average RNFL thickness.
High myopes are likely to exhibit different RNFL distribution patterns.

Follow up with your doctor as advised by him.

dr Shroff

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS

I can answer any question on eye care, expertise in Laser eye surgery, LASIK, Epi LASIK, cataract, glaucoma, keratoconus- corneal collagen crosslinking.

OF LASIK, we are one of the first centres to use the wavefront guided LASIK or custom LASIK procedures. I train doctors worldwide for these wavefront procedures, our centre is the referral centre for our Wavelight Laser Technologies, Germany in India.

ASCRS [American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery]certified by USA- Joint Commission International

MD Ophthalmology and FICS [Fellow of the International College of Surgeons]

please see http://www.shroffeye.org and www.lasikindia.in