Ophthalmology & Optometry/seeing colored dots

Question
I have been seeing Colorful dots and when driving I see If I see a neon light that is blue. Wherever I look after seeing the neon light it seems to be in my field of vision. It gets larger and larger. It last about 60 seconds.  This has also happens at home with only normal lights. I hope you can help me. Thankyou

Answer
Dear Pete,

What you are describing is the nromal phenomenon of the 'memory' of the retinal image.
Similar to what happens when you face a "flash" of a camera.

the retina has the ability to register the image for a few seconds longer when your gaze has moved from the object.

This is to do with a complex system of neurological pathway from retina to the brain.

However, seems normal, maybe you have just become more conscious and perceptive of this off late. If this does not settle, and keeps worrying you, step in an eye clinic for a routine check up.

Ignore it. Don't keep checking this, as your brain will then take time to adapt to the surrounding.
Hope this helps.

Best,
Dr Anand Shroff
www.shroffeye.org

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS