Ophthalmology & Optometry/Chronic Dry Eye with FreshKote

Dear Dr. Berger,
My mother is a 69-year old who has experienced dry eye for the past 5-6 years. She has been taking 1 drop in each eye, BID, for the past 2 years. With that, she continues to have symptoms of dry eye. She describes as feeling like she has not slept all night. In addition to the drops, 2 1000mg gel capsules of "Pro Omega 650 EPA/450 DHA," manufactured by Nordic Naturals.

I am writing to you to ask if you have any experience with a situation such as hers. She has only seen one opthamologist and wonders if a different physician might offer different solutions.

Please advise.

Dear Missy  It doesnt sound like enough has been tried. For example , my patients seem to do well with Systane Ultra drops and ointment,  Refresh Optive, preservative Free eye drops, Theratears eyedrops and ointment, and in stubborn cases and mild steroid is prescribed to relieve the inflammatory process, and warm compresses if there is a meibomianitis present.  Discuss this with her doctor or try the over-the-counter ones first. Good luck. Dr. Ken

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry