Ophthalmology & Optometry/Dry Eyes

Question
Hello,
I am a 27 year old female. My vision is 20/60 in one eye and 20/70 in the other eye, and I wear glasses to see far off. I have never worn contact lenses. I had a baby almost 8 months ago, and I suffered from dry eyes periodically throughout the pregnancy. While pregnant, I mostly noticed my eyes were dry when I woke up in the morning, but the did not bother me during the day. After having the baby, my eyes started bothering more. They are now not only dry in the morning, but throughout the day and I have to use artificial tears often and they only provide relief for a couple of minutes. I have heard that taking fish oil or omega 3 can help, so I am going to get some of that on my next trip to the store. My question is, can my pregnancy and postpregnancy hormones be causing my dry eye symptoms? It has been almost 8 months since having my son, so I had thought they would be better by now. Also, can dry eyes cause pain in the eye lid and near the brow bone? I do not have any swelling or redness in those areas, they are just sore and kind of tender to the touch. Do you have any recommendations for me? Thank you!

Answer
Dear Mary,
In some pregnancies, the hormones can affect the cornea and cause dryness. However, it usually responds to lubricating eye drops.
There may be some other concomitant factors to look out for as well, in the environment, systemic diseases.
You having a recent event (pregnancy) may make you focus more on this event as the only cause.
However, one should rule out other causes, esp since it has been going on for over 8 months.

My recommendation would have primarily been to use lubricating eye drops (the ones with no preservatives, and probably with gel form) to last longer. However, if you have tried these sincerely, just schedule an appointment with an eye doctor.

The pain seems more like a symptom of sinusitis.
So, check if you have any draft of air hitting your face, or you shuffle in and out of an air conditioned room to a warmer temperature. Or have a lot of cold foods and drinks. All these can trigger the symptoms you describe.

Quite honestly, this will need a lot of your alertness and ruling out one thing after the other.

Hope this helps,
Best
Dr Shroff

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS