Ophthalmology & Optometry/Question from the TV show CSI

Hello, Dr. Berger. My name is Jon and I'm a researcher for the CBS television show CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. It's my job to make sure our show is as accurate as possible and to achieve this goal, I often rely on professionals such as yourself.

The reason I'm contacting you is in the hopes you can help us with a question for our next episode about contact lenses.

If you've seen our show, you know we always try to follow the evidence. What wed like to know there any way to track contact lenses, similar to the serial numbers found on everything from breast implants to artificial hips??

I suggested that there might be some sort of specialized contact lenses, maybe the ones that correct for astigmatism, that might narrow the possibilities down to a handful of doctors. Is that possible if the serial numbers don't work out??

Anything you can tell us would be truly appreciated.

Hi Jon.   Although contact lenses do have serial numbers, eye practitioners typically do not record them upon fitting and dispensing these products to
Patients.  The Distributors and manufacturers have established extremely liberal policies with regard to exchange, replacement , and upgrades. additionally a good percentage of contact lenses today are used as " disposable" OneDay replacement, so recording serial numbers for 180 or 360 lenses would be impossible not to say inefficient.     Hope I've helped you out a bit.  Dr Berger  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry